Monday, May 9, 2011

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

So I played Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for about a week. I went with a sword/shield/light armor warrior with restoration magic, basically was going for someone who could do a little of everything. At level seven, I was getting killed. My restoration was all but useless. And then I took a quest were I was warped into a painting where the only way out was to complete the quest, but I was too weak to do so.

Turns out I "levelled wrong", according to some websites I checked out. I could either go back to a much earlier save and try to get back on track, or start a whole new character. Or trade it in towards Fallout New Vegas. I'll be anxiously watching the mail.

Oblivion was another case where, because it's built on the same engine as Fallout 3, it kinda suffered in comparison. It just made me want to play Fallout instead. And incidentally, I was just reading that the next Elder Scrolls game is going to steal a lot of the whole levelling system from the Fallout games. So I'll be looking forward to that, too, at the end of the year.

For Oblivion, I'm very critical of the fact that I could make what should be a perfectly viable build and have it crash and burn. Even if it was a weak choice, a weak build should be playable, IMO.... I should have to go out of my way to make an unplayable character. I'll call this one 2 1/2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment